Learn our story, from the beginning and into the future.
A name trusted for over 160 years and one of the oldest established and continually operated businesses in Chambersburg is the William F. Sellers Funeral Home.
Not only one of Pennsylvania's oldest funeral homes, it enjoys the distinction of being one of the oldest in the United States.
Housed in one of Chambersburg's oldest private buildings, the Colhoun-Chambers Mansion (circa l782), it stands as one of the most recognizable and historical establishments in this area. Since 1805, five generations of the Sellers families have continued their tradition as the premier caregivers in our community.
In a nutshell? Experience, professionalism, compassion, and empathy.
We've learned a lot over many years. Like how to present options without overwhelming. And how to meet the needs of many caring parties. People come to us in difficult times, and we respond kindness, calmness and expertise. Our goal is to create a beautiful occasion and make you feel welcome, always. We spend our days planning with families. We stay up to date with industry developments. And we make hard times a little easier.
Learn the legacy.
Daniel Sellers, great-great grandfather of William Sellers, operated a furniture and undertaking business in St. Thomas until 1901.
Daniel Sellers' two sons, J. Allen and S. Frisbie bought George Denton's funeral business in Chambersburg, established by Denton in 1865. This was known then as J.A.Sellers & Bro. And was the first Sellers funeral home in town.
S. Frisbie died in 1923, and with the help of his two sons, Daniel K. and Robert A., J. Allen operated the business then known as J.A. Sellers and Sons. After his death in 1932, both of J. Allen's sons continued the operation of the business.
Robert A. Sellers became the proprietor of the business and the funeral home was moved from 129 S. Main St. to it's present location in the old Colhoun-Chambers mansion, Philadelphia Ave. at Chambers St.
Robert G. Sellers became associated with his father in the operation of the funeral home and following the death of Robert A. in 1949, the business was purchased by his son Robert G. Sellers.
In 1977, the firm was incorporated and William F. "Bill" Sellers, son of Robert G. and the great-great grandson of the founder, joined the firm, thus becoming the fifth generation caregiver in the Sellers family lineage. He was joined by his wife, Kristin, in 2004.
William F Sellers Funeral Home, Inc. William F. Sellers, Supervisor was established years ago, and serving families has always been our focus. We take pride in being able to guide people through some of their most difficult days. We take pride in maintaining a setting that allows people to find solace. Celebrating life is our mission. That’s never changed. And with pride, it never will.
We are proud to embrace traditional values, diversity and innovation in honoring the spirit and life of each person we serve. We offer a full selection of:
- Funeral and memorial services, ranging from traditional to uniquely innovative and personal
- Burial services and cremation options
- Celebrant Services
Letting go of a loved one is usually a very difficult process. In order to provide your family peace-of-mind, our funeral home offers complete care, so you can focus on comforting each other as you prepare to say goodbye to someone dear to you.
Although there are many decisions you may have to make, we assure you that we will guide you through the entire process every step of the way. We promise to help you:
- Design the most fitting memorial or funeral service to honor their memory and pay tribute to their life achievements and experiences.
- Select the most appropriate products, including a casket, burial vault, cremation urn, cemetery or mausoleum, to fit your budget and suit your needs and desires.
- Write a fitting obituary to honor your loved one’s life experiences and social connections.
- Assist in the publication of the obituary in the newspapers of your choice.
- Create a Book of Memories™, a beautiful, permanent online memorial, where you and your friends can build a legacy of memories by archiving treasured photos and memories.
- Welcome your family and friends to our funeral home for your planned services, including a viewing, visitation, funeral or memorial service.
- Make all arrangements with regard to the services whether they are held at your place of worship, our funeral home, cemetery, or alternate gathering place.
- Provide you with beautiful funeral print materials, including memorial folders, prayer cards and book marks. We also offer personalized note cards for you to acknowledge the emotional support you received from friends, co-workers and community members.
- Provide an elegant hearse and funeral cars, as well as arrange for escorts.
- Help in the selection and on-site arrangement of floral tributes.
- Provide access to grief education and support materials, and referrals to counseling services.
- Prepare all paperwork, including vital record statistics, permits, filing and obtaining death certificates, and assistance with life insurance, veteran’s benefits and Social Security claims.
We hope you will turn to us for compassionate care and impeccable service. Our pledge is to honor your loved one and family with dignity, respect and personal attention to every detail.